Surah Maryam, verse 75 Addressing the Prophet, Allah in the 75th verse of Surah Maryam says,
قُلْ مَنْ كَانَ فِي الضَّلَالَةِ فَلْيَمْدُدْ لَهُ الرَّحْمَٰنُ مَدًّا ۚ حَتَّىٰ إِذَا رَأَوْا مَا يُوعَدُونَ إِمَّا الْعَذَابَ وَإِمَّا السَّاعَةَ فَسَيَعْلَمُونَ مَنْ هُوَ شَرٌّ مَكَانًا وَأَضْعَفُ جُنْدًا
or the Hour (of resurrection) – they will come to know who is worst in position and weaker in soldiers.”” This verse contains a form of divine retribution for the deviate people who have been given an extended wealth and a lot of chance in this world, but they misused them and added to their corruption and even perverted others. Allah here makes them informed that their time will come to an abrupt end. Then in the following verse, Allah talks about those who wanted to stay firm and guided and says,
‘‘Say (to people), Whoever is in error – let the Most Merciful extend for him an extension (in wealth and time) until when they see that which they were promised – either punishment in this world]
وَيَزِيدُ اللَّهُ الَّذِينَ اهْتَدَوْا هُدًى ۗ وَالْبَاقِيَاتُ الصَّالِحَاتُ خَيْرٌ عِنْدَ رَبِّكَ ثَوَابًا وَخَيْرٌ مَرَدًّا
“And Allah increases guidance to those who were guided, and the enduring good deeds are better to your Creator and Nurturer for reward and better for recourse.”
Abū Basīr narrates from Imam al-Sādiq (the sixth Imam of Shia) to have said, “… In this verse “until, when they see that which they were promised’ refers to the time that the Upriser (Imam al-Mahdi) arises and those who are in their error will face that time soon and will realize what would happen to them of divine punishment by the hands of Allah’s Upriser. This is the meaning of the words of Allah saying they will come to know who is worst in position and weaker in soldiers’ and they will know it when the Upriser. 1
1. ‘Usul al-Kafi, Vol. 1, p. 431, hadith 90.
comes.” Then, the narrator of this tradition adds that he asked the Imam about the meaning of this part of the verse where Allah says: “And Allah increases those who were guided in guidance” and the Imam replied, “Allah will increase the guidance for people who were guided because they have decided to follow the Upriser and not to disobey or reject him.” So, when the Imam comes it is a time that one of the examples of the mentioned verses comes into existence and Allah will make the dignity of the believers and the abjection of non-believers completely manifest.
- The chance for those who are in their error will not last forever: Allah gives everyone enough time to decide for what he wants to do and people out of their free will can choose what to do. But if they decide to misuse this given fortune, they should know that it won’t last for them forever. There, of course, will be a time when they will realize how weak they have been even though they have enjoyed a lot of power and time. This is a promise from Allah and it will never fail. When Imam Mahdi arises, this divine promise will be accomplished fully and it will be the time of a complete victory of believers over non-believers.Guidance is not separated from following someone: No one can be guided by himself without having recourse to divine leaders. Guidance in this verse is attributed to Allah which means Allah should help man to be guided. However, this guidance is done through some special ways the best of which is an Imam. Consequently, the more one knows his Imam and follows the divine leaders the more he will be guided. During the time of Occultation, those who wanted to be more guided have to try to know their Imam better.
- The appearance of the Imam will take place abruptly: The Imam will arise suddenly; therefore, it is necessary for those who want to accompany him to be prepared in advance. No one should think that since the time of appearance is delayed for a long time it also may last too much longer as well. Those who want to do something positive should decide on it before it is too late.
- When the Imam comes Allah will add to His blessings to the believers: Based on the abovementioned narration, Allah promises the believers that at the time of the Imam’s advent He will increase those who were guided in guidance. This
corruption, or oppression in the world. The Imam will make the world a good place for those who want to be guided to practice their religious duties.
- Guidance is not separated from following someone: No one can be guided by himself without having recourse to divine leaders. Guidance in this verse is attributed to Allah which means Allah should help man to be guided. However, this guidance is done through some special ways the best of which is an Imam. Consequently, the more one knows his Imam and follows the divine leaders the more he will be guided. During the time of Occultation, those who wanted to be more guided have to try to know their Imam better.